Oven-dried Tomatoes and Garlic
I find this one of those soul satisfying comfort recipes and it’s the perfect way to make use of late summer early fall cherry tomatoes. A toaster oven is perfect for making these tomatoes and while low and slow is best, you can crank the heat to 300 and they will be done in an hour.
- Start this recipe well ahead of time so you can slowly bake the tomatoes and garlic. This can be done in the toaster oven or the full sized oven. Arrange the tomatoes garlic and shallots in a single layer on a baking tray. Try to see that the tray is only as big as needed to keep everything close together.
- Drizzle enough olive oil to cover everything and have a thin layer covering the bottom of the pan.
- Now sprinkle with salt, pepper, and honey if desired.
- Roughly chop the thyme if you have some on hand and then add to the tray.
- Bake for 4 hours in a 200° F oven or until the tomatoes have shrivelled.
- You can use immediately or store in the fridge to be added to stir-fry’s, veggies, soups or use the tomatoes to compliment baked chicken, grilled steaks and other cooked meats.
- PREP 10 mins
- COOK 4 hours
- •Another great option for this recipe is to use it as a base to a fantastic salad dressing. Just add some more extra virgin olive oil as well as some balsamic vinegar and stir vigorously.