Poached Pomegranate Pears with Cashew Cream
A delicious sweet and tart dessert that is very healthy. The pomegranate juice makes the pears a beautiful colour and lends a great flavour while the cashew cream is a fantastic smooth and sweet contrast to the tart pears.
- Once you have your pears peeled, cut them in half and remove the core. Place them in a small or medium pot so that they are in a single layer.
- Pour in the juice so that the pears are submerged.
- Add in the cinnamon sticks and then gently simmer until the pears are just soft.
- Remove from the heat and let the pears cool in the liquid a little and then remove and set aside.
- Take the cinnamon stick out of the juice and place the pot back on the burner. Heat on medium-high and boil until the liquid is reduced by at least half. You will notice that it will become thicker and more concentrated. Remove from the heat and let cool a little.
- Now to make the cashew cream, drain the soaking water and add the cashews to a food processor. Turn on the processor and slowly add fresh water until you get a nice creamy texture. Stop and wipe the sides of the processor as needed and keep running until the cream is very smooth.
- Add the honey and process until incorporated.
- You are now ready to plate up. I like to place a spoonful of cashew cream in the middle of a plate and then place the pear on top. Next comes a drizzle of the warm juice reduction over top of the pear. Enjoy!
- PREP 15 mins
- COOK 20 mins
- You can use grape juice in place of the pomegranate if it suits your budget better.
- Fresh toasted and chopped cashews make a nice garnish to this dessert.