Yam and Egg Bacon Torte
This is a healthier play on a recipe called Spanish tortilla, which is basically a potato heavy, baked omelette. In this version we swap the potatoes for their better looking, healthier cousins yams and the result is…YUM!
- Butter and flour a 10 – 12 inch round casserole dish or cake pan and set aside.
- Steam the yams until they are just cooked and soft when poked with a knife, but not mushy.
- Brown the bacon lightly on medium heat, stirring occasionally in a large fry pan. Pour off any excess fat if needed, leaving enough to sauté the onions. If you are using the Tannadice bacon as per my recommendation, you will probably not need to pour any fat off as it is much leaner than most other bacon.
- Add the onions to the pan and sauté, stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, stirring regularly and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the steamed yams with the onions and bacon and stir to distribute evenly.
- Now crack your eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat well. Add the milk, salt, pepper and cumin and stir well to incorporate.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Transfer the yam, bacon onion mix to your prepared dish and level the contents. Now pour the mixed eggs over the yams etc. and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set in the middle and the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, allow 5 minutes to cool, then enjoy this yummy creation!
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 30 mins
- Not a bacon fan, then simply omit, and use a little butter and/or oil to sauté the onions and garlic.
- Chopped fresh herbs such as oregano or thyme are a great addition. You can add them to the pan along with the garlic.