Vanilla Coconut Chicken Appy
Caramelized onions and coconut milk accented with the sweetness of vanilla is what is used to create the wonderful flavours in this appetizer. The nutmeg plays off of the cane sugar and it all fits wonderfully in the savoury goodness of the puff pas
- Following the instructions, bake the patty shells in the oven and then set aside.
- Preheat a medium fry pan on medium heat. Add the butter and then the onions. Sauté the onions, stirring regularly until they are lightly browned.
- Add the leeks and sauté for 3 or 4 more minutes until the onions and leeks are golden brown. The leeks will cook faster than the onion, hence why we are adding them later.
- Remove the onions and leeks and set aside. Add a little oil if needed and then add the chicken. Sauté the chicken, stirring regularly until golden brown on all sides.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, salt, nutmeg and cane sugar. Give a good stir to release any stuck on goodness from the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has thickened to a nice consistency. Remove from heat.
- When you are ready to serve, warm the patty shells in a 400° F oven for a couple of minutes. Scoop some the chicken mixture into the warm patty shells and make sure that they each get some of the sauce too!
- Top with the shredded coconut and sliced green onion and you could even give a little pinch of extra cane sugar for a treat! Serve and enjoy.
- PREP 20 mins
- COOK 15 mins
- Use the chicken mixture, skip the patty shells and add in your favourite grain like cooked quinoa, brown rice, or barley and you have dinner.