Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Cashew and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
- Ready in 1 hour
These stuffed peppers make for a pretty easy dinner and they are so good. The quinoa stuffing is loaded with both flavour and nutrition and they are even delicious as leftovers!
- Roast the garlic by cutting off the top to expose each clove, drizzle with oil and then bake at 350° F until nicely browned.
- Cook the quinoa with a ratio of 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to minumum. Simmer 10 minutes and then remove from the heat, leaving the lid on and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a mixing bowl.
- Preheat a large fry pan and then add the coconut oil and onions. Sauté until lightly browned and softened.
- Crumble the cashews into the pan with your hands enough to break them up a little. Sauté for another couple of minutes and then transfer to the mixing bowl with the quinoa.
- Squeeze the garlic out of the bulb, chop a little and also add to the mixing bowl along with the tomato, green onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Stir very will and give a taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Stuff the quinoa mixture into the peppers, top with cheese and then bake in a 400° F. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned slightly and the peppers are softened.
- Serve warm or room temperature and enjoy.
Any leftover stuffing mixture can be eaten by itself as salad.\