Recipe by Chef Heidi Fink
Thai Green Curry with Shrimp
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 40 mins
- Yield Serves 6
A delicious green coconut curry, wth an authentic Thai flavour, this recipe can be easily made on a weeknight. To make a red coconut curry, use red curry paste instead of green.
- Make sure to mince the lemongrass, galangal (or ginger) and garlic as finely as possible. If one is available, a mortar and pestle can be used to mash the ingredients together into a paste.
- Place the minced or mashed lemongrass mixture in a small bowl and add the curry paste to it.
- Open the can of coconut milk. It should have separated into a thick spoonable coconut “cream” at the top of the can and a thinner coconut water underneath. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the thick cream into a small bowl, add the 1/4 cup water, and set aside. This mixture will be used to fry the curry paste mixture; the rest of the coconut milk will be used later, in the sauce itself.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the curry paste and the mashed or minced lemongrass mixture. Sauté, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, then add the water mixed with the 2 tablespoons of thick coconut cream. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the oil separates from the coconut milk, about 2 to 4 minutes. The curry paste should smell fragrant, but not burnt. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Now add the rest of the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook to meld flavours for about 1 minute. Add the prepared vegetables and shrimp/prawns to the pot along with the fish sauce, palm sugar, and optional lime leaves. Bring to a simmer and simmer very gently, covered, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The shrimp should be just cooked at this point. It may need a minute or two longer, but keep a close eye on it.
- Sprinkle with Thai basil, taste for salt, and serve immediately, with steamed jasmine rice.
RED COCONUT CURRY
Use red curry paste in place of the green; follow the instructions as usual.
COCONUT CURRY WITH CHICKEN
Replace the prawns with an equal weight of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces. Follow the instructions as usual.
Reviews on "Thai Green Curry with Shrimp" (1)