- READY IN 24 hours
Making your own bread is easier than you think and with this no – knead recipe it does not get much easier. You will be amazing by the results once you get this down, so give it a go!
- Add the warm water to a large mixing bowl, dissolve the honey into the water and then stir in the yeast. Wait until the yeast has activated, i.e. once the yeast starts to foam on the surface of the water.
- Now stir in the salt and then add the flour.
- Continue stirring the flour into the liquid until it forms a wet dough and is completely incorporated.
- Now cover the bowl with a rag and let it sit out for 18 – 22 hours. During this time the dough will bubble away, rise and fall. As it does it will actually do all of the kneading for you.
- Next after the 1st proof, turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with all-purpose flour, using a spatula to get the dough out of the bowl.
- Dust the loaf now and then fold in half and then turn it 90 degrees and fold it in half again. Repeat this process adding more all-purpose flour if necessary until you have folded the dough 4 times, turning after each fold. If your dough is very wet, you will need to liberally sprinkle flour and fold it a few more times, but keep in mind, this is a soft dough!
- Transfer the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and then carefully pick up the paper and place into a mixing bowl to proof. Cover once again with a kitchen cloth.
- Allow the dough approximately 90 minutes to proof. This time will vary depending on the temperature in your kitchen.
- After about an hour, turn your oven on to 475 degrees F with the rack in the middle of the oven and place a 2 ½ – 3 qt. casserole dish with a lid into the oven.
- Once the dough is proofed (it should be noticeably bigger), carefully open up the oven, extend the rack out, remove the lid and lift the proofed dough by the parchment paper and place into the smoking hot casserole dish. Replace the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- To check if the bread is cooked it should feel rock hard and have a bit of a hollow sound when you knock on it with your knuckles.
- Remove the dough from the casserole dish and cool on a baking rack for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it. Then enjoy…or make grilled cheese!
- PREP 30 mins
- COOK 1 hour
- READY IN 24 hours
- Lighten your bread up a little bit by do a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose. Try 3 cups of whole wheat and 1 cup of all-purpose.