Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Squashed Spaghetti with Vegan Bolognaise
- Prep time 45 mins
- Cook time 45 mins
- Ready in 1 hour 30 mins
This is a great meatless and veggie loaded alternative to the ultimate carb crush of all time. Pasta is fantastic once in a while, but I love to eat veggies in place of processed food most days and spaghetti squash is natures’ perfect noodle. You can skip the parmegiano to keep this dish vegan, but either way, the pesto is what takes this dish over the top!
- Vegan bolognaise:
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat. Add some olive oil and then the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper and cayenne and sauté for a minute or so to toast the spices, stirring regularly.
- Add the tomatoes, maca root, quinoa, water, oregano and black beans. Stir it all together and simmer for about 45 minutes. Make sure to stir along the way and add a touch of water as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scrape out the guts with a spoon and then place cut side up on a baking tray, drizzle with oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon and then place in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the flesh is tender.
- Now for the pesto…if you did want to keep this dish vegan then simply omit the parmegiano, add ½ teaspoon of salt and proceed. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor or stick blender chopping bowl. Puree until fine, but textured.
- Let the squash cool a little and then scoop the flesh out from one end to the other with a fork or spoon and arrange with style on your plate or platter if serving family style.
- Top with the bolognaise and drizzle some of the pesto on top. Now, dig in, enjoy and smile.
You can assemble this dish ahead of time in a casserole dish or oven safe fry pan. You can do this the day before if you wanted and keep in the fridge. Then all yo would have to do and roast in the oven for and have it ready.
Reviews on "Squashed Spaghetti with Vegan Bolognaise" (1)