Marinated & Grilled Tri-Tip Steak
- Prep time 6 hours
- Cook time 20 mins
- Ready in 6 hours 20 mins
- Yield Serves 8 to 10
This inexpensive but flavourful cut of meat works well to feed a crowd. Marinate beforehand to help with tenderness. Serve cut thinly against the grain on a bed of peppery greens and a side of herbed Chimichurri sauce.
- In a wide shallow container, mix together the soy sauce, sugar, cider vinegar, and water, until sugar is dissolved.
- Lay steaks in container, in a single layer if possible, turned to make sure both tops and bottoms are coated in marinade. Allow to marinate for 3 to 10 hours, flipping steaks several times.
- Remove steaks from marinade to a paper-towel lined tray and pat completely dry.
- Heat grill on high with the lid down. The plan will be to have one side of the grill super hot and the other side low heat.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steaks evenly with salt and pepper. Place on one side of the grill to sear; turn the other side of the grill down to low. Sear the steaks on both sides and transfer to cool side of the grill. Cook until steaks register 120 F to 124 F (for rare) or 125 F to 130F (for medium rare). Put the lid down or the heat up, as necessary depending on the grill you are using.
- Once steaks are cooked to your liking, transfer to a platter or baking sheet and let rest at least five minutes. If you are using the cherry tomatoes, place them on the grill now to blister while the steak is resting.
- Meanwhile, cover a serving platter with the prepared arugula. When the steaks have rested, transfer them to a cutting board and us a sharp knife to slice them thinly against the grain. Place sliced steak on the bed of arugula, drizzle with Chimichurri Sauce and scatter with the optional cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Oven-finished Tri-Tip steak:
Instead of using an outdoor grill or BBQ, you can sear this steak in a pan and finish in the oven. Prehat oven to 325 F. Sear in either a grill-pan or regular pan, with a heavy bottom, until grill-marked or browned on all sides. Transfer steak to a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in preheated oven. Cook until steaks register 120 F to 124 F (for rare) or 125 F to 130F (for medium rare). Continue with the rest of the recipe as written.