Steak Burrito Bowls
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
- Ready in 30 mins
This is a fresh, refreshing and very tasty recipe that takes the ingredients from a burrito and puts it in a bowl instead. It is simple and fun and a great dinner or meal to pack into work. If you are taking it to-go to be warmed later, keep the tomato and avocado separate so you can warm everything else.
- Get your rice on the stove as it will take the longest, especially if you are using short grain rice.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium high heat. Add some oil and then the steak. Season the steak very well.
- Brown nicely on one side and then flip the steak. Season again and then add the onions, jalapeños and garlic to the pan and sauté, browning nicely. The steak depending on thickness will take about 4-6 minutes on each side for med-rare.
- Remove the steak once it is cooked to your liking and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it up.
- Once the onions are nicely browned add the black beans, season salt, pepper and paprika and then add the vinegar. Stir very well and release any stuck on goodness from the bottom of the pan. At this point, you can mash the beans if you like and adjust the consistency with a little water if necessary. You can also leave them whole.
- Now you are ready to assemble. Place a serving of rice in the bottom of a bowl and then scoop some beans on top. Now add fresh tomato, avocado, sliced steak, salsa and finish off with cilantro.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Make this dish vegetarian easily by skipping the steak. Or try it with shredded chicken if you are looking for another protein option.