- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 1 hour
- Ready in 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield 6 servings
The lemongrass syrup can be used for cocktails, sodas, iced drinks, lemonade, and even for baking and canning. It lasts for two weeks in the fridge and adds a wonderful lemony fragrance to all kinds of dishes.
- Lemongrass Syrup
- Lemongrass Lemonade
1. Cut the root ends off the lemongrass, then cut off the top ends off from the point where the lemongrass gets thin. You want only to use the thicker part of the lemongrass.
2. Cut the trimmed lemongrass in half lengthwise, remove the core, and slice the remaining lemongrass into small pieces.
3. Combine the sliced lemongrass with the sugar and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Simmer five minutes, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour.
4. Strain this lemongrass syrup into a jar. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks. Use in cocktails, sodas, lemonade, or in baking.
5. To make one serving of lemonade, mix 60 ml (1/4 cup) of lemongrass syrup with the juice of 2 lemons (or the juice of 1 lemon AND 1 lime). Mix well, and add 250 ml (1 cup) cold water. Mix well again. Pour into a tall ice-filled glass and enjoy!