Classic Pork and Beans
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 40 mins
- Ready in 50 mins
This classic recipe is sure to soothe the soul. It is super easy to whip up and using pure maple syrup makes this recipe a better option than the typical canned counterpart. Make the recipe and portion and freeze any leftovers for another dinner, done!
- Soak the beans overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours in water making sure they are double covered. After soaking, drain the beans.
- Place in the slow cooker/pressure cooker along with the 4 ½ cups water, onion, fennel, garlic, maple syrup, ketchup, bacon, molasses (if using) salt and pepper.
- Now you can slow cook for 8 hours on low or pressure cook for 40 minutes on high pressure with a natural release.
- Once you have finished cooking, you may notice that the dish is a little runny. You can adjust the consistency by simmering to concentrate the liquid until the desired thickness is achieved. Do this in batches concentrating only what you are going to serve.
- Freeze any leftover pork and beans that you are not eating in the next 5 or 6 days and have some delish ready to go the next time you want to be comforted.
Add in some extra veggies…celery, peppers, yams, squash. They will add extra nutrition and offer some varying textures.