Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 15 mins
Here we have a simple little appy that can make its way onto your table with minimal effort. The rich flavour of the prosciutto goes nicely with the creaminess of the mozzarella. Then we make a nice presentation with a little fried basil.
- To get started pour the balsamic vinegar into a very small pot or fry pan and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Simmer until the volume of the vinegar has reduced by roughly 50% and then pour into a small bowl. Once it has cooled, you can check the consistency. If it is too thick, add a few drops of hot water until you get it just right.
- Next remove the mozzarella from the package and dry with a paper towel. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Now remove the prosciutto from the package and cut to size so that they will wrap the mozzarella nicely. Depending on your tastes you may only want a single wrap of prosciutto around each piece of mozzarella. If it is double layered, it may be a little too intensely flavoured.
- Add ¼ inch of oil to a small pot and heat on medium for a few minutes. Once the oil is hot, fry 1 basil leaf for each wrap. Take care as they will splatter at first. It should take about 60 seconds turning half way through. Once finished place on a paper towel.
- Now you can finish off these beauties. Arrange the wrapped mozzarella on a platter. Place a fried basil leaf and then a toothpick on each one. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and serve and enjoy!