Grilled Veg Sandwich on Homemade Focaccia
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
- Ready in 3 hours
This is a fantastic sandwich served on a delicious and easy to make homemade focaccia. Using the Holy Hummus and these tasty veggies make the perfect fillings for this bread to create an amazing sandwich!
- For the focaccia:
- Sandwich garnishes:
- In order to make this focaccia successfully make the dough up at least 4 hours ahead of time. Mix the water with the yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil.
- Now add about 1/3 of the flour to the mixing bowl and whisk until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed. No need to knead. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- You need to proof the dough now for about 90 minutes. This will vary depending on the temperature of your room. Once the dough has more than doubled and it has flattened a little on the very top it is ready to be chilled.
- Keep the dough in the fridge until you are ready to bake it off. You can bake the focaccia on a cookie sheet or in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Once you are ready to bake the bread, shape it into a ¾ inch thick dough using your finger tips to stretch and shape. Do this on an oiled cookie sheet. Once you are happy with the shape (rustic is fine) allow the dough to proof for about 30 minutes.
- Once proofed, drizzle a little more olive oil on top, add some sliced red onion and season with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes in a 425° F oven until the bread is golden brown.
- Cool on a rack.
- While the bread is cooling you can grill the veggies under the broiler in the oven. Arrange them, slightly overlapped on the baking sheet from the bread. Do in batches if necessary. The yam, then the zucchini, then the onions, peppers and garlic can be done together. Season each of them as you go.
- Now you are ready to assemble. Slice the focaccia in half horizontally. Spread a liberal amount of hummus on the bottom, arrange the veggies, place the top on and then portion into sandwiches. Your welcome!
Use this focaccia dough as pizza dough as well! Simply roll out portions of the dough on a floured surface, sauce, top and cheese and you are good to bake!