Panini with Bacon Aoili and Squash Browns
- Prep time 45 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 1 hour
A labour of love, this sandwich has multiple homemade components that take it off the hook. Pair that up with a side of squash browns and you have an epic brunch or even a dinner worthy sandwich.
- Squash Browns:
- Bacon Aioli:
- Begin this one by cooking the bacon until nicely crispy. Save the bacon fat though!
- Toss the squash with the saved bacon fat and season liberally with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 25 minutes until soft and caramelized, flipping half way through.
- While the squash cooks, let us make the aioli. Combine the yolks, garlic, shallot and 2 slices of the cooked bacon (chopped) and the balsamic. Blend with an immersion or counter top blender until everything is incorporated.
- While the blender is running, slowly add the oil. Set aside.
- Combine all of the pesto ingredients in a food processor and puree until a little smooth, but a little chunky.
- Okay, now it is time to build the sandwich. Cut the ciabatta in half. Spread pesto on one half and the bacon aioli on the other half. Then to finish off the sandwich, layer the tomato, camembert and bacon.
- If you have a panini press, fantastic! Grill the sandwich until nice and toasty. Most don’t have a press though…so, grill as per your usual grilled cheese process. If you happen to have a grill pan, they work perfect, but a regular cast iron pan is also good. You can place another pan on top to create the press effect and then flip and toast on the other side.
- Serve with the warm squash browns and an extra dab of bacon aioli for dipping.
Try this sandwich including the aioli with Chorizo instead of the bacon.