Recipe by Chef Heidi Fink
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 25 mins
- Yield 3 cups
This recipe is courtesy of Chef Israel Alvarez of Maiiz Nixtamal in Victoria. It’s his favourite salsa to serve with tacos.
- Remove husks from tomatillos and rise off any sticky residue.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or similarly heavy pan) over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomatillos, chilis, and garlic to the pan and dry-roast them, turing occasionally, until browned in spots and cooked through (cooked tomatillo with lose its bright green colour and soften up; make sure not to burn the garlic!). Adjust the heat if it seems too hot or if the vegetabales are burning.
- Use tongs to remove the vegetables to a bowl and let cool. Remove the veggies as they are cooked (e.g. the garlic will likley get removed first)
- Place the roasted tomatillos, chilis, and garlic in a blender with the avocado, salt and cilantro. Blend to puree.
- Taste to adjust seasonings and serve!
- This salsa will last up to 5 days in the fridge.