Roasted Pear Custard Bars
- Prep time 40 mins
- Cook time 40 mins
- Ready in 1 hour
This is a fantastic fall recipe adapted from one of my favourite chefs in town, Heidi Fink. She wrote the original featuring rhubarb. I have come up with my variation of her recipe simplifying things a touch and featuring pears and apple making it a great fall/winter recipe.
- Crust ingredients:
- Custard ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 365 F and line a 9 x 13 cake pan with parchment paper.
- Add all of the “crust ingredients” to the food processor and mix until you get a fine crumb. The butter should be almost completely incorporated. If you do not have a food processor, you can use a traditional pastry cutter.
- Press crumbs (not too firmly, but firm enough) into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place pan on lower-centre rack of the preheated oven. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven.
- While the crust is baking, mix the “custard ingredients” together.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, salt, and whipping cream, very well until smooth.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat and sauté the pears and apples in the butter until caramelized, stirring regularly.
- Finish with ½ teaspoon cinnamon, stir well and then remove the pears from the frying pan to cool a little.
- Add the warm pears and apples to the custard and stir immediately, incorporating well.
- Once the crust comes out of the oven, pour the topping over it (the crust will still be warm). Return to the oven and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes, until custard no longer jiggles in the center.
- Remove the pan and let the bar cool for at least 30 minutes. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a week and you can also freeze the bar for longer storage.
You can make this a great springtime variation and make the recipe Chef Heidi originally wrote. Sub the roasted pears for 4 cups of raw diced rhubarb.