Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Easy Chicken and Squash Cacciatore
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 1 hour 15 mins
- Ready in 1 hour 35 mins
Cacciatore is a tasty and simple creation using onions, herbs, tomatoes and sometimes wine. This version is a great stand-alone dish with the addition of the squash and it packs a bit of punch thanks to the green peppercorns and piri-piri.
- Add the chicken to a mixing bowl and season liberally with salt, pepper and ground coriander then turn and flip until the spices are distributed.
- Now sprinkle the flour into the bowl and turn again until distributed.
- Preheat a fry pan on medium high heat; add the oil and then the chicken. Brown on both sides well and then remove and set your chicken aside.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté, stirring regularly until lightly browned.
- Toss in the green peppercorns, piri piri peppers if you are using them and the red wine again if you decide to use it. Let the wine reduce down by half.
- Next up, add the tomatoes to the pan and give a good stir.
- Place the chicken back in the pan and settle each thigh into the sauce.
- Add the squash and basil and bring to a simmer and then place the whole pan into a preheated 375° F oven and bake for 60 minutes.
- Serve as is, or with a small portion of rice, potatoes or perhaps barley.
- If you do not have an oven safe pan, you will need to transfer everything to a casserole dish once it is hot.
- Parmesan cheese is a nice touch on this recipe. You can add it before or after you bake it!