Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 30 mins
Leave a Review
- Whisk the eggs and flour together in a mixing bowl.
- Grab the cheese grater and shred the yam and onion on the large holes. Now for an important step…squeeze the liquid out of the shredded veggies using your hands.
- Once you have sufficiently squeezed, add the shredded yam and onion to the mixing bowl along with the garlic, salt, pepper and cumin seed.
- Stir very well until incorporated.
- Preheat a large cast iron or stainless steel pan on medium heat. Drizzle a bit of oil and a knob of butter into the pan and then place a spoonful of the latke mix into the pan and flatten and shape into a small thin disc. Repeat to fill the pan.
- Cook for 4 – 5 minutes and then flip and fry for another 4 – 5 minutes. You want them browned nicely on both sides.
- Serve them right away and if you want to turn it into a nice dish, garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt, bacon and green onion.
Turn it back into the classic latke by substituting the yam with russet potatoes and otherwise follow the recipe step by step.