Not Your Mom’s Roast Chicken
- Prep time 45 mins
- Cook time 1 hour 15 mins
- Ready in 1 hour 30 mins
This is a pretty epic recipe. The marinade is amazing and so is the sauce. To lighten the load you can prep the marinade and sauce days in advance.
- Maca Mushroom Sauce:
- To minimize some of the spiciness, remove the seeds and the veins from the chili’s. Add to a food processor along with the basil, lemon rind, garlic, Chinese five-spice, salt and olive oil. Puree until chopped fine.
- Remove the backbone from the chicken and then fan the chicken open.
- Place the marinade all over the chicken, on the inside and the outside. If you have time, let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours before roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Lay the squash, carrots and onion out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a little oil and then some salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top of the veggies and then place the tray into the oven. Roast for 60 – 75 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken and cook until a probe thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh reaches 165º F.
- While the chicken is cooking make the maca mushroom sauce. You can certainly skip this sauce as the chicken and veg taste great on their own, but if you want to go all out…carry on.
- Preheat a medium fry pan on medium heat. Add the oil and then the shallot and garlic. Sauté until they begin to brown, stirring regularly.
- Now add the mushrooms. Sauté stirring regularly until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper, salt and maca powder and rosemary. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest for 10 minutes in a warm place and then go ahead and cut up the chicken and serve up an amazing dinner.
You can also roast the chicken whole without cutting the backbone out. If you do, roast the chicken separate from the veggies as the chicken roasting time will be longer than the veg.