Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Squashed Mac & Cheese
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 45 mins
- Ready in 1 hour 5 mins
Butternut squash is the perfect vegetable to make a nice sauce for mac and cheese. We puree the squash into some milk and that gives as a much more nutrient dense base for mac to swim in.
- Start off by cooking the macaroni as per the directions on the package. Once el dente, strain very well and drizzle with a little oil to prevent from sticking. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Bring the squash to a simmer in the milk and cook until soft. You may notice the milk separate. If it does, not to worry, it will be pureed anyways.
- Add the tomato paste, salt and garlic and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Now add the sauce and cheese to the macaroni, stir very well and then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Optionally you can top the macaroni with additional cheese and if you want that crunchy top, breadcrumbs will do the.
Try substituting yams for the squash as a different option.