Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Savory Salmon Caesar
- Prep time 40 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
- Ready in 1 hour
This is a fantastic variation on one of the most classic salad dishes ever in the history of the world.
- Spice rub:
- Fried caper Caesar dressing:
- Make a spice rub! Combine all of the spices together in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the cauliflower with a little oil and the spice rub and roast in a 450° F oven until caramelized and beautiful. Set aside.
- Preheat small pot on medium high heat, add a skim of oil to cover the bottom of the pot, let it heat up a little and then add the capers. Fry until nicely browned but be careful to not burn. Strain the capers from the oil and set aside to cool a little.
- Add the garlic, Dijon, anchovies (if using), egg yolks, lemon juice and fried capers (once cooled a little) to a blender.
- Season liberally with pepper, salt and paprika and then puree until everything is chopped well. Then with the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil blend until you get the perfect consistency.
- For the kale, remove the thick stems and then chop into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle with a little bit of coarse salt and then massage/squeeze the kale until the leaves are dark green and ‘bruised’. This softens their texture.
- Pan toast the cubed bread with a liberal amount of olive oil and butter, then season with salt and pepper.
- Now all you have to do is grill the salmon and plate up. Season the salmon with salt and pepper or use some of that left-over spice rub you make and then BBQ, or pan fry until just cooked.
- Toss the massaged kale and roasted cauliflower with the dressing. Plate up, add croutons, fresh grated parmesan and finish with the salmon. Enjoy!
Use the classic romain for this salad in place of the kale if you desire.