Recipe by Chef Heidi Fink
Spiced Cucumber Salad
- Prep time 30 mins
- Ready in 30 mins
- Yield Serves 6 to 8
Also known as kachumbar, this layered salad is lightly spicy and flavoured with fresh mint and cilantro. It is a super refreshing addition to any meal, Indian or otherwise.
- Cut the onion in a half through the stem and peel off the skin. Slice the onion as thinly as you can into half-rings.
- Cut the tomatoes in half through the stem end and slice into thin half-rings.
- Cut the cucumber into half-moons, thinly sliced.
- (You should have about equal amounts of each of the prepared vegetables – usually about 2 cups of each, with slightly less of the onion.)
- Cut the limes onto wedges and make sure the herbs are chopped before you assemble the salad.
- On a large plate or platter lay down a thin layer of onion followed by a scattering of tomato and then cucumber. Sprinkle liberally with salt and cayenne and fresh herbs. Then squeeze the juice from two wedges of lime all over this.
- Repeat layering, sprinkling and juice-spritzing until everything is used up. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro, if desired.
- For best results, allow to sit for 30 to 60 minutes before serving.
Leftovers can be chopped small into an Indian-style “salsa”