Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Wheat Berry and Beet Salad with Maple Soy Vinaigrette
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
- Ready in 40 mins
Leave a Review
This is a fantastically simple and wonderful dish. The soft and sweet beets play nicely with the popping texture of the wheat berries and the dressing…delicious! By the way…the cook time is based on using the pressure cooker.
- For the dressing:
- I find it is best to cut the tops and bottoms off the beets, cook them and then peel the rest of skin off once they are cool. You can cook your beets in the pressure cooker or on the stove top…20 minutes on full pressure, with quick steam release. Same goes for the wheat berries. Except 15 minutes, full pressure, with quick steam release or 45 minutes simmering on the stove covered. Once they are cooked, set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, go ahead and make up your dressing. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, chili paste and lemon zest/juice in a bowl and whisk together.
- Once you are ready to assemble, combine the dressing with the wheat berries and then place them on the plates forming a little well in the center for the beets.
- After peeling the beets, cut each one in half and then slice each half into ¼ inch slices, keeping the slices aligned. Fan them out and place 1 ‘fanned’ half beet on each plate.
- Garnish with pea shoots add a couple extra dips of dressing and serve.
You could try another idea here…Cubed and then roasted butternut squash. Just thought of that!