Super Stacked Sandwiches – Meat Lover’s
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 5 mins
- Ready in 35 mins
- Yield 4 sandwiches
Brimming with flavour and texture, this satisfying sandwich is perfect for sunny picnics or lunches in the back garden.
- Herbed Butter
- Iceberg Salad
- Super Stacked Sandwich
- Make the herbed butter: in a small bowl, mix together the soft butter, garlic, minced herbs and salt & freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix until well combined smoothly. Alternatively, use a pre-made pesto.
- Make the dressing for the Iceberg salad: In a medium bowl, combine the mayo, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, sliced pepperoncini, and thinly sliced red onion until well mixed. Keep the sliced iceberg separate until the last step of the sandwich assembly.
- Preheat broiler in your over. Position oven rack in the middle of your oven.
- Slice the buns in half, if necessary, and place cut side up on a baking sheet., Slather the cuts sides with herbed butter or pesto. Place the sliced cheese on the top sides of the buns, covering the whole surface. Pile layers of each type of meat (25 g per sandwich) on the bottom sides of the buns. Thinly sliced meat makes a big difference here.
- Leaving the sandwiches open, place the baking sheet in middle of the oven, under the broiler, for several minutes, until cheese is melted and meat is heated, but nothing is burnt or crispy.
- Remove from oven to a heat proof surface. Place tomato slices on the cheese sides of the every bun. Sprinkle tomatoes with parmesan cheese.
- Mix the sliced iceberg lettuce into the dressing mixture and stir to combine thoroughly. Pile the lettuce mixture onto the tomato sides of each bun.
- Carefully flip the meat side over so it’s on top of the lettuce-tomato-cheese side. Pierce each sandwich with two large toothpicks to hold together. With a sawing motion (but not too much downward pressure) slice each sandwich in half. Eat immediately.
Use any meat or cheese combo you desire; increasing the portions as you see fit.
Use arugula or other leafy green in place of iceberg lettuce.
Serve the sandwch cold instead of warm.