Egg & Yam Benny with Fruit Salad
- READY IN 1 hour
With this benny, you may just not even miss the bread that usually comes with a benny. Roasted yam toasts make a fantastic benny base and the avocado crème fraiche is great in place of hollandaise!
- Mix up your fruit salad and keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve up.
- For the crème fraise, stir 250 ml of whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of buttermilk together in a loosely covered glass jar. Leave on the counter at room temperature for 12 – 16 hours. After 12 hours stir to check the consistency…it should be magically thick and rich like yogurt. Keep in the fridge for 10 – 14 days. Once you have your crème fraiche, all you need to do now is stir about an equal part crème fraiche into the mashed avocado along with the lime juice, sea salt and paprika.
- Scrub the yams and wash them, Remove any blemishes if necessary…otherwise, leave the skin on. Cut them into ¾ inch thick rings, drizzle with oil, season with salt, pepper and whole cumin seed to taste and roast in a preheated 400º F oven until caramelized and soft.
- Time to roast peppers! Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom and then remove the seeds and veins. Place them cut side down on a baking sheet and then brush with a little bit of oil. Set your oven rack to the top shelf and broil until the skin is mostly blackened. Set them aside to cool. Once you can handle the peppers, remove and discard the burnt skin and then slice the peppers thin. Set aside.
- Now that all your components are ready, poach your eggs! In a deep enough fry pan, fill deep enough for the eggs to be submerged and bring to just below a simmer. Add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to the water and give it a good stir. Crack the eggs one by one into a small bowl and then use the bowl to transfer the egg into the water. Poach until your desired runniness or firmness and then place the egg on top of warm yam toast. Ladle some crème fraiche on top and then garnish with roasted peppers and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve with the fruit salad and enjoy!
- PREP 45 mins
- COOK 45 mins
- READY IN 1 hour
- If it was me, I would cook off a full tray of the yams to have some left over for another meal!