Making cheese sauce from scratch is easy and much healthier than using the boxed stuff. The other important control is that you get to use the pasta of your choice. That choice for me is Cowichan Pasta. High in protein, fibre and sourced from all BC grown ingredients…Love this stuff!
1. Start this recipe off by preheating a pot on medium high. Add the butter and then the flour. Using a whisk or wooden spoon, stir regularly until the mixture has browned slightly. We are trying to add a toasty flavour.
2. Now while whisking, add about one third of the milk. Add it slowly while whisking so that it incorporates without creating lumps.
3. Once you are satisfied there are no lumps, slowly add the rest of the milk while whisking.
4. Gently simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure that it is not burning on the bottom of the pot.
5. Now add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and cheese. Stir to until the cheese is completely melted.
6. Add in the cooked pasta of your choice and serve as part of a meal.
7. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, simply stir in some more milk until it reaches your desired consistency.
• Little Qualicum Raclette cheese makes an amazing substitution for cheddar.