Beef and Vegetable Goulash
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 1 hour 30 mins
- Ready in 2 hours
A very simple one dish meal, this pot will be full of delicious and tender beef and lots of veggies to sustain you for the next few hours. Using the chuck or shoulder blade is the key to a tender delicious stew or in this case…goulash.
- Place the tomatoes (canned or fresh) in a blender and puree until relatively smooth and set aside.
- Preheat a large pot on medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoon of oil and then the beef. Brown nicely all around.
- Next add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and sauté for about 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add the salt, pepper, cumin and molasses and sauté for about a minute longer before immediately adding the pureed tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low or medium-low and cover with a lid. The meat is going to need about 1 ½ hours + to get nice and tender.
- After 90 minutes, pick a piece of the meat out and see if you can easily pull it apart with a fork…or just pop it in your mouth and chew to see how tender it is. If you are happy then add the yams and stir them in. Place the lid back on and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Now stir in the sui choy and place the lid back on and let it soften for a few minutes. Check the seasoning of your goulash and serve your delicious meal.
Make this dish a little heartier by adding some cooked barley or another favourite grain.