Homemade Sausage Rolls
- READY IN 55 mins
Making your own sausage rolls is fun and easy and working with puff pastry is pretty darn forgiving. The best part is you can make a big batch of these and then freeze them. Then you have a stash of delicious snacks ready to be baked the next time you get a craving.
- Combine ground pork with chilli flakes, salt, cumin, coriander, garlic, vinegar and bread crumbs. I find mixing with your hands is the best way to incorporate everything evenly. It will take a minute or so of good mixing and kneading.
- Now unroll the puff pastry on a floured work surface and then rolls the sausage. Aim for cylinders about an inch in diameter and the same width as the puff pastry.
- Lay one of the sausage cylinders on top of the puff pastry close to one of the ends of the roll.
- Roll the pastry over the sausage until it overlaps on itself slightly and make a mark. Unroll the pastry a little and cut it where you marked it.
- Once cut, brush lightly with egg wash where the pastry overlaps and then roll back up again. Gently pinch together to prevent it from unrolling and then set the roll on a baking sheet so that it sits with the overlap down.
- Repeat this process until all your sausage is used up. Left over sausage can be used to make hamburger patties and left over puff can be re-frozen.
- Brush all the rolls with egg wash, sprinkle with chilli powder and salt (if desired) and toss into the freezer for 30 minutes to firm them up.
- If you want to serve them immediately, cut with a sharp knife into the desired size after chilling. Place on a baking tray with space between each roll and bake for about 25 minutes in a preheated 375° F.
- Alternatively you can leave the rolls in the freezer and once frozen cut to size and keep them frozen in a freezer bag.
- When you want to enjoy one, simply defrost for 30 minutes at room temp and then bake as per above.
- PREP 30 mins
- COOK 25 mins
- READY IN 55 mins
- If you want to make these a kid friendly version skip the chilli flakes, and use half as much for the garlic, cumin and coriander.