Sopa de Lima
A rich and flavourful broth with a beautiful citrus kick accented with garlic, peppers and tomato, shredded chicken and tortilla chips…lovely.
- Preheat a pot just large enough for your chicken breast or thighs. Add a little oil and then place the chicken in the pot along with the onions and garlic. Brown the chicken on both sides while stirring the onions and garlic.
- Add enough broth/water to cover the chicken and add the bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves and allspice. Bring to a simmer, cover and lower heat to minimum. Once the chicken is cooked through (30 – 40 minutes) remove from the broth to cool and then shred or chop. Set aside.
- While the broth is simmering, preheat a large fry pan on med-hi heat. Add oil and then pepper, onion, garlic and habanero. Sauté, stirring regularly until everything is browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they have concentrated.
- Finally add the lime juice and zest and remove the pan from the heat. Stir well.
- Strain the broth, removing the onions, bay leaf, peppercorns etc. and then add the sautéed veggies to the strained broth along with the shredded chicken. Check the seasoning and serve each bowl with your selected garnishes.
- PREP 30 mins
- COOK 30 mins
Add a touch of sweetness with a tablespoon of honey to add a great balance to this soup.