Winter Salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing
- Prep time 45 mins
- Cook time 1 hour
- Ready in 1 hour
This is a great hearty salad to nourish you in the colder months. You can make a big ol’ batch of this and enjoy over the next many day as it keeps very well. This salad can easily be the meal, or it can also be a side.
- Start off by boiling your beets. Wash, cut the top and bottom off and leave the skin on. If there is a big size discrepancy, cut any big ones in half. Boil for about 50 minutes, cool and then peel the skin off. Now you can chop and set aside.
- Wash the beet greens and chop them up a little. Slice the stems very thin and then sauté in a fry pan on medium heat with a little butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the carrot and parsnips on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and then roast in a preheated 400ºF oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let’s cook the quinoa. First toast the quinoa, dry, in a medium pot, preheated on medium. After toasting, add 1 ¾’s of a cup of water and a couple pinches of salt, bring to a simmer, put on the lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from the heat, leave the lid on and let sit for another 10 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to the bowl you are serving the salad in.
- Let us now assemble the salad ingredients. You already have the quinoa in your serving bowl already…garnish the dish with the beets greens, and roasted veg scattered around.
- Now on to the dressing. Preheat a medium fry pan on medium heat. Add a touch of oil and then add the ginger, turmeric and shallots. Sauté until lightly browned and then add the pecans and raisins and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, remove any stuck bits and then add the yogurt. Give a good stir and then season with a bit of salt and pepper. Drizzle all over top of the quinoa and veggies and then finish off by placing the beets on top. This makes for a lovely presentation. Hope you enjoy!
You can also make this as a tossed salad. Simply add all the ingredients together and toss with the dressing.