Thrilled Grilled Cheese
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
- Ready in 45 mins
There is nothing light about this sandwich, so go ahead…indulge and enjoy! I love making my own bread for this recipe, so you can follow the link below if you want to do just that. Otherwise get your favourite loaf.
- For the salad:
- This recipe will start off around 24 hours ahead of time if you are using my no-knead bread recipe (click here). Just follow the link if you want to give it a go.
- Once you have your bread sorted, liberally spread each slice with some room temperature butter and set aside.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Add the butter and once melted, add the onion, apple and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté until nicely caramelized, stirring regularly and then add the balsamic. While stirring, let the balsamic reduce and cook into the mix.
- Preheat a clean large fry pan on medium heat. Now you can assemble your sandwiches, Place the cheese down first on the non-buttered side of the bread, then add a good dose of the balsamic apple/onion. Place the bread into a preheated large fry pan, buttered side down and then top with the other piece of buttered bread, completing the sandwich. Repeat with the other sandwich. Grill until nicely toasted, flip and then spread the grated parm onto the freshly grilled side. Once the second side is nicely grilled, flip the sandwich one more time to lock in the parmesan.
- Serve up your amazing sandwich with the side salad adding the remaining caramelized apple/onion into salad if desired! Enjoy.
The creaminess of the brie in this would pair nicely with some spice. You could add a little bit of cayenne pepper to the balsamic mix if you wanted to jazz things up a touch.