Recipe by Chef Heidi Fink
Make perfect poached eggs every time with my tips for success!
- A wide flat saucepan is better than a pot for poaching multiple eggs. I use a small pot for one or two eggs. Otherwise, I use a wide saucepan.
- Fill the saucepan with at least 2 inches (5 cm) of water; add the salt. Bring this water to a gentle simmer. (Water should register 190°F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Carefully break all the eggs into a bowl, make sure that none of the yolks are broken and that no shells are in there. If you see a lot of very thin runny egg white that seems to have separated from the main part of the egg white, you can carefully strain this out into the compost, but it’s not necessary.
- Gently tip eggs into the simmering water. Move the water gently with a wooden spoon for 10 seconds, just to make sure that eggs don’t stick together.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, making sure the water stays at a bare simmer (180 to 190F) until egg whites are fully set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes.
- POACHING VARIATION: You can also cook the eggs by removing the pot from the heat after the 10 seconds of stirring are over. Cover the pot, leaving the eggs in there to cook in the residual heat for 4 to 6 minutes (timing depends on how much water you started with – more water will hold the heat better). This method is one I use if I have a lot of sides and things to prepare. The eggs require less babysitting and you have a little more time.
- When eggs are done to your liking, carefully lift eggs from pot with a slotted spoon and place on an empty plate. This extra step is important, because it allows extra water to drain from the eggs.
- Now transfer the poached eggs to the eating plates. Serve immediately.
- ADVANCE PREP VARIATION: Immediately after cooking, transfer poached eggs to a bowl of ice cold water and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To serve, transfer eggs to a pot of hot water (not boiling!) and let reheat gently for 2 minutes. Remove from water with a slotted spoon, making sure to drain off excess. Serve immediately.