Super Stacked Sandwiches – Vegetarian
- Prep time 40 mins
- Cook time 10 mins
- Ready in 50 mins
- Yield 3 sandwiches
Brimming with bright mediterranean flavours, this sandwich is perfect for sunny picnics or lunches in the back garden. It’s a great vehicle for leftover grilled vegetables (a summertime staple at my house) and any herbs and cheese you have on hand. Slather on the pesto, if you like a strong herb flavour, or limit yourself to a few leaves if you prefer the cheese and vegetables to shine. If you don’t like goat cheese, feel free to change to any mild white cheese you like. Try drizzling the sandwich with Italian-style vinaigrette just before you put the top piece of bread on.
- Herbed Butter
- Smashed Rosemary White Beans
- Grilled Vegetables
- Super Stacked Vegetarian Sandwiches
- Make the herbed butter: in a small bowl, mix together the soft butter, garlic, minced herbs and salt & freshly ground pepper to taste. Mix until well combined smoothly. Alternatively, use a pre-made pesto.
- Make the Smashed Rosemary White Beans: Place the beans in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. In a small pan, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic and rosemary. Turn heat to medium and heat the pan up. Let the garlic and rosemary sizzle until fragrant, about one minute, then immediately pour directly on to the beans in the bowl.
- Use a potato masher or a large fork to mash the beans together with the oil and flavourings. The texture with be rough rather than smooth. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper and mix again. Taste to see if the spread needs more salt or pepper. (Bean spread can be kept in the fridge up to 4 days).
- Grill or roast the vegetables: remove seeds and membranes from bell pepper, slice the zucchini on the diagonal in 1/2-cm-thick slices, slice the red onion in 1 cm-thick rounds, cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Drizzle all with olive oil and salt & pepper. Grill one of three ways: 1) on a gas or charcoal grill, 2) on a cast iron grill pan on the stove top, or 3) directly under the broiler set to high. The vegetables should be charred but not mushy. Set aside to cool completely. (Grilled veg can be kept in the fridge up to 4 days).
- Assemble sandwiches: Slice the buns in half, if necessary. Slather each side with the herbed butter (or pesto). Spread the bottom of each bun with the goat cheese. Spread the top of each bun generously with the smashed rosemary white beans. Over the goat cheese (or other cheese of your choice, or omit the cheese) on the bottom bun, layer some of the grilled vegetables (making sure to use some of each kind of vegetable). Top with arugula, then cover with the white-bean coated top bun. Pierce with large toothpicks to hold the sandwiches together, slice carefully with a bread knife and enjoy!
VEGAN STACKED SANDWICH
For a 100% plant-based version of this sandwich, make the following subsitutions:
- Instead of herbed butter, use pesto (either store bought or homemade) OR swap a plant-based spread for the butter in the Herbed Butter portion of the recipe
- Instead of goat cheese, substitute your favourite vegan “cheese” OR leave the cheese out altogether.