Chai-Spiced Tahini Shortbread
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 1 hour 10 mins
- Ready in 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield 2 dozen
A refined, adult cookie. Crisp, buttery, and sandy, like a traditional French sablé cookie, with the beautiful aroma of chai spices. This shortbread is perfect for dipping in a cup of tea. The flavour of these cookies improve after a day or two. This recipe doubles easily.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter with spices on medium speed until well blended. Add both sugars and mix again on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, tahini and salt; beat again until well mixed and fluffy. On low speed, stir in the flour until combined.
- Roll the dough into a round log, about 5 cm (2 inches) in diameter and 30 cm (12 inches) long. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 F / 160 C. Lightly butter two cookie sheets.
- Remove cookie dough from fridge and unwrap. Cut log into slices ½ cm (1/4 inch) thick. Roll cookies in toasted sesame seeds, if desired. Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 cm (3/4 inch) of space in between each cookie.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 7 to 10 minutes, until very lightly golden on the edges and cooked through the middle. Let set on cookie sheet for one minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, store shortbread in a cookie tin for up to 8 days.