Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Millet Butternut Squash Salad
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
Leave a Review
You can serve this salad warm, making it the perfect fall accompaniment to dinner. The soft butternut squash plays perfectly with the crunchy texture of the millet and the dressing is just awesome.
- For the dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- To get 2 cups of cooked millet, you will need about ½ cup of dry. Optionally you can toast the dry millet in the pot for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly over pre-heated medium heat before simmering. Now add 2 parts liquid to 1 part millet…so 1 cup of broth or water for this recipe will do it. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked millet from the pot and transfer to a large mixing bowl once the 20 minutes is up.
- While the millet is cooking you can sauté the onions in a large fry pan over medium heat, stirring frequently until nicely browned.
- Transfer the onions to the mixing bowl with the millet and then add the cooked squash. The squash should be soft, but not mushy.
- Add the dressing and toss well to combine. Serve warm or store in the fridge for the next couple days!
- Double or triple the dressing portion of this recipe and save some for another day
- Add in some extra veggies like boiled carrot, fresh red pepper or cucumber.