Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Tannadice Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
Leave a Review
This recipe showcases three great products from the island. Tannadice farms bacon…one of many great products from the Comox Valley farm, Little Qualicum raclette…an amazingly tasty and rich cheese from a great cheese maker and Vancouver Island smoked salt…awesome salt products extracted right for the waters of Mill Bay.
- This recipe is suited for a 10 inch round pan, however, you can use any relative sized Pyrex or cake pan that you have. Grease the pan and set aside.
- Cut the asparagus in half lengthways and then cut into 1 – 2 inch pieces. Blanch in a small pot of boiling water for about 10 seconds and immediately strain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat. Add the bacon and sauté until it’s lightly browned. Transfer the bacon from the pan into a bowl to cool.
- Pour off any excess fat from the bacon, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. Add the onions and brown them lightly and then add the garlic and leeks and sauté for another minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the veggies to the bowl with the bacon and let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl vigorously whisk the eggs with the coconut milk, salt, chilli powder and coriander. Add the veggies, stir again and then transfer to your greased pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350oF oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the quiche is cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm now or place in the fridge and re-heat later.
Toss in a variety of veggies to change up the recipe slightly. Sautéed peppers, fennel or zucchini sound yummy. How about some wilted greens such as spinach, chard or kale?