Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Salmon Yam Potato Cake with Avocado Cream
- Prep time 5 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
This recipe creates super tasty cakes that work well as a meal, appy or snack. You can make the cakes as big or as small as you like. A nice drizzle of the avocado sauce on top makes for the perfect accompaniment.
- For the Avocado sauce:
- For the cakes:
- Remove the avocado flesh from the skin and then mash it up in a small mixing bowl. Now add the yogurt, lemon juice, salt and chilli powder and stir well. Set aside.
- Steam or boil potatoes and yams together until soft. Mash until semi-smooth and then set aside to cool.
- Steam or bake salmon until just cooked through and set aside to cool.
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat.
- Now break the salmon into pieces and add to the mashed yam and potato.
- Whisk the egg quickly in a bowl and then add it to the cake mixture along with the coriander, salt and chilli powder. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- You can add the bread crumbs in with the other ingredients in step 6 if you desire a more structured cake. The cakes work fine without the bread crumbs as long as you are gentle with them.
- Form the mix into cakes. It will make 6 large cakes and about 10 smaller appy sized ones.
- Now drizzle a little oil into the preheated pan and fry as many cakes as you can comfortably fit in the pan. Fry until nicely browned on both sides and heated though.
- Serve cakes warm with avocado sauce drizzled on top.
- You can use canned salmon instead of fresh if you want to save a little time and money.
- Use these cakes as burgers patties or the ‘meat’ in a sandwich or wrap.