Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Black Bean Potato Cakes
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 5 mins
These are gluten free delicious little cakes of black bean and potato. They are easy to make and offer a creative yummy option for dinner that compliment chicken, beef or prawns or even just by themselves for the vegetarian crowd.
- Boil the potatoes covered in water until totally soft but not to the point that they are falling apart. Remove from the water immediately and let them steam themselves dry.
- Peel the potatoes once they cool enough to handle and mash them in a medium mixing bowl while they are still warm.
- Sauté the shallots in the butter on medium heat until they begin to brown and then add the garlic and chilli powder and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the sautéed stuff to a food processor or a blender and then add half or 1 can of the black beans, the egg and the cilantro. Puree until mixture comes together but is not totally smooth.
- Transfer to the mixing bowl with the potatoes. Add the rest of the beans and the salt and then stir to incorporate.
- Add the chickpea flour and stir until completely incorporated. The mixture will still be a little wet, but you should be able to form some rustic little cakes from it. If it is too wet, add more chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is working for you.
- Form the burgers with your hands to the desired size, but try to keep to a thickness of about 3/4 inch.
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat. Once hot, add a splash of oil and then carefully place the patty into the pan. Fry for 5 – 6 minutes, carefully flip the patty and fry for another 5 – 6 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Extra spices are always good for me and ground cumin and coriander are perfect choices here.
- Sub the second can of black beans with pinto, kidney or navy beans for nutritional variety.