Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Prosciutto and Cheddar Croquettes
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 5 mins
Little breaded ham and cheese potato bites. That sounds good to me and with a flavourful roasted red pepper and almond sauce you have a great appy.
- For the sauce:
- For the croquettes:
- Preheat a large fry pan on medium-high heat. Without adding any oil, add the almonds and stir or toss in the pan very frequently until lightly browned.
- Once cooled a little add the almonds along with the red pepper (bottled or homemade), yolk, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, chilli powder and salt to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Now for the croquettes. You can use the mashed potatoes from last night’s dinner or make them especially for the recipe. They are best mashed with some butter and milk or cream.
- Add the potato, ham, cheese, flour, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and incorporate together with a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Now form the mixture into small disks, balls or quenelles if you have the culinary know how.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Now we have to bread them. Whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon of water, making an egg wash, and pour into a low rimmed bowl.
- Now get set up with the formed potatoes, the egg wash and the bread crumbs (also in a low rimmed bowl) in a row, in that order with an oiled baking tray at the end for the finished product.
- Now dip the potato in the egg wash and then transfer to the bread crumbs and coat all over. Transfer to the baking tray. Try using your left hand to both dip the potato in the egg and to transfer to the bread crumbs and then use your right hand to coat in the bread crumbs. This way you will avoid breading your hands too.
- Now bake in the oven until golden brown and serve with that awesome sauce. Your guests will love this appy.
For a little crunch you can add ½ cup of sliced almonds