Kid Friendly Parent Approved Calzones
- READY IN 2 hours
This is a great big batch and load in the freezer kind of recipe. Meant to be a healthy and delicious alternative to Pizza Pops, you will be much happier serving these to your little ones I am sure.
- In a small bowl, stir together yeast, honey, and ½ cup warm water. Let the mixture sit until it begins to foam (approximately 5 minutes). If the mixture does not begin to foam, discard and repeat the process (old yeast or water temperature are probably the reason your mixture did not foam).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt. With a wooden spoon, add remaining water, yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix until combined. Form the dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean dry surface. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on your prepared surface.
- Knead the dough for ten minutes. Sprinkle additional flour onto the dough if it is too sticky to knead. The dough will be shiny and smooth after kneading.
- Place the dough ball back into the large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size (approximately 2 hours).
- Punch the dough down and knead it again for 2-3 minutes. Divide dough into 12-18 balls.
- Get the kids involved for this step. Use hands to shape the dough into circles 1/8’ thick. In the middle of each circle, add your favourite sauce, meat, veggies, fruit, and cheese. Fold the dough in half and pinch the edges together to completely seal the calzones. Press the fork tines along the length of the seam to seal the calzone (flip calzone and repeat on other side). Using a knife, make an X in the top of each calzone to vent steam. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat the process until all the calzones are made.
- Place calzones in freezer. Once frozen transfer to a container and freeze for up to one month.
- The evening before bake the calzone in a 425oF oven until the calzones are golden brown (approximately 20 minutes). Remove from oven and cool completely. Serve cold in lunch the next day with leftover sauce for dipping because who doesn’t enjoying a good dip.
- PREP 40 mins
- COOK 20 mins
- READY IN 2 hours