Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
Leave a Review
This recipe makes for an awesome appetizer or the veggies portion of your meal. It takes a little bit of skill to carve out the zucchini, but with a little practice…
- Cut zucchini in half lengthways and microwave on high or boil for 1 minute just to soften it a little.
- Allow zucchini a couple of minutes to cool down and then holding in the palm of your hand gently scrape out the center of the zucchini with a teaspoon. Perform this operation slowly bit by bit until you have carved out a nice little channel. Reserve scrapings and give them a chopping so they are small dices.
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and then add the butter, zucchini scrapings, pine nuts, sun-dried tomato, onion, garlic, fennel, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes until mix begins to brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Add the feta cheese and the basil and toss to combine. Now fill mixture generously into the hollowed out zucchini, place in a baking dish and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is well melted and beginning to brown.
- Try using a different cheese in place of the feta. Parmesan or a nice sharp cheddar would definitely work well.
- With all of these Mediterranean flavours, some sliced olive or diced red pepper could easily and happily slip into this recipe.