Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
If you are like me, you hate spending $3 to get a quality protein bar when you need a snack on the run. You know…one that has only pronounceable ingredients in it. Because of this, I created an easy to make recipe so you can make your own bars for much less money.
- Select a mixing bowl that fits nicely on top of a small pot. Add about 1 inch of water to the pot and heat so that the water is almost simmering.
- Chop the chocolate squares into small pieces about the size of chocolate chips. Add to the mixing bowl and place on top of the pot. Within a couple of minutes the steam will melt the chocolate.
- Add the peanut butter and honey (2 tablespoons = less sweet, 4 tablespoons = more sweet) to a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to incorporate. Once the chocolate is melted, add it to the peanut butter and stir well to incorporate.
- Add the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and cashews to a food processor. Process until they are ground as much as possible.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of the nuts to the chocolate peanut butter mix and stir well again.
- Now line a small casserole dish with parchment paper or plastic wrap and turn out the bar mix into the dish.
- Using a spatula, flatten the mixture out until it is consistent in thickness.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours so that the bars set. Then cut into desired size, arrange in storage containers (with parchment between each layer) and keep in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
- PREP 15 mins
- Individually wrap the bars if you are planning on packing them in lunches or for the road.