Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Marinated Cucumber Salad with Spicy Prawns
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
Pickles are marinated cucumbers, but this recipe is a cut above. The flavour is a little less pucker face than you standard pickle since we use rice wine vinegar and with ginger and shallots, the flavours round out nicely
- Peel some of the skin off of the cucumber leaving some on. We want to retain some for nutrition, but all of it would provide a texture a little too tough for this recipe. Now slice the cucumber into very thin slices or julienne on the mandolin if you have one.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey and make sure the honey dissolves. Now add the sesame oil, ginger, shallot, salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Add the cucumber to the marinade and let sit in the fridge for two hours or overnight to soften up if you have the time. Alternatively you can serve immediately.
- Once you are ready to serve the salad, season the prawns with salt, pepper and chilli flakes and sauté in a preheated fry pan on medium heat with a little olive oil. Serve the prawns warm with the cold salad…yumm!!
- Swap the ginger with garlic for a slightly different flavour.
- Add some finely julienne red pepper for a nice colour and flavour contrast.