Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
- Prep time 22 mins
- Cook time 45 mins
This is a classic recipe that is not the healthiest, but a true comfort food and worth the occasional indulgence.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Peel and then slice the potatoes nice and thin either with a knife, on the mandolin, or in a food processor.
- Combine potatoes, onion, garlic and olive oil in a mixing bowl and toss until nicely distributed.
- Using approximately an 8 by 12 in. casserole dish cover the bottom with about 1/3 of the potato mix.
- Top with half of the cheese and give a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Now repeat with another 1/3 of the potato and then the remaining cheese and season again.
- Then top with remaining potatoes, season again and pour the half & half in.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the top is browned and the potatoes are soft.
- Serve with meatloaf or any of your favourite meat dishes and enjoy!
- Add in 1/3 cup sliced red pepper for some extra colour and flavour.
- A few pinches of nutmeg add great flavour and cayenne pepper will add some heat.