Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Baked Macaroni & Smokies
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
Here is a play on the old Kraft Dinner and wieners that many of us enjoyed as children. The only difference is everything. Whole wheat macaroni, vegetables, tomato sauce and almonds turn this into a simple healthy meal.
- Preheat a medium fry pan on medium heat; add the butter and then the onions and wieners. Sauté until the onions start to brown and then add the garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes more stirring frequently.
- Now add the tomato sauce and the cauliflower and cook for 3 or 4 minutes to soften the cauliflower up a little.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently until the spinach is wilted.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Cook the macaroni as per the directions on the box and then drain and transfer to the mixing bowl. Now add the mozzarella and sundried tomatoes. Stir very well.
- Now transfer to a casserole/baking dish, cover the top with desired amount of almonds and then place in a preheated 400° F oven.
- Bake until the cheese has melted in the center and the almonds are lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy this healthy satisfying dinner.
- Replace the wieners with cooked sliced chicken, beef stir-fry or sliced pork chops.
- Add some extra cheese sprinkled on top with the almonds for a cheesy boost.