Maui Braised Short Ribs
This recipe is inspired by the original Maui Ribs. We have taken the flavours that made the grilled Maui Ribs famous and applied them to this comforting braised or slow cooker short rib recipe
- Combine Tamari, sugar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in a mixing bowl and stir until the sugar is mostly dissolved and then stir in the pineapple juice and beef broth.
- Place the ribs neatly in one layer if possible on the bottom of the slow cooker or appropriate sized pot.
- Pour the liquid over top and set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or if using a pot, bring to a boil and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to lowest possible setting and cook for 4 hours.
- Check to make sure that the liquid is completely covering the ribs throughout the cooking process. Add a little more beef broth if necessary.
- Once cooked, gently remove the meat from the slow cooker or pot and then bring the liquid to a boil over medium high heat in a small pot.
- Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and stir until dissolved. While stirring the boiling liquid with a whisk or wooden spoon, slowly pour the dissolved cornstarch into the liquid until desired consistency is achieved. Do not add too much at once as cornstarch takes a minute to take effect.
- Serve with some cooked whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa or even lentils and some fresh or canned pineapple.
- PREP 10 mins
- COOK 4 hours
- Wanna make an amazing sandwich. Try shredding some left over meat with a fork and then combine with some of the sauce. Warm up in frying pan and serve on your favourite fresh baked bun with some sliced tomato. mmmm!!!
- Cut the cooked ribs into bite sized pieces and add to some stir-fry veggies with some of the sauce.