Recipe by Chef Michael Williams
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 1 hour 15 mins
Here we have a straight forward recipe that is very satisfying. By dropping the normal noodles and replacing with spaghetti squash we have made a calorie monster into a nutritional powerhouse.
- Preheat a large frying pan on medium-high heat, add a little oil and then add the ground meat. Cook in 2 or 3 batches if necessary so that you do not overload the pan. Once the meat is nicely browned set aside.
- Now preheat a large pot on medium heat and add some olive oil and then the onions. Sauté for 3 minutes and then add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, paprika, and broth or water, stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scrape out the guts with a spoon and then place cut side down on a baking tray and into the oven. Bake about 45 minutes or until the flesh is tender.
- Let the squash cool a little and then scoop the flesh from the stem end to the other end with a fork or spoon.
- Add to a mixing bowl and toss with desired amount of sauce and serve.
- Top with fresh parmesan cheese if desired.
- Add some extra veggies to the pot when sautéing the onions for more flavour. Peppers, zucchini, carrots or mushrooms are all good choices.
- Make a double batch of sauce and then freeze the left-over sauce for a quick dinner another night.