Spicy Ginger Beef
- READY IN 1 hour
My version of ginger beef is much cleaner than the thick & gloppy take-out version you are used to. Tender chickpea crusted flank steak is surrounded by a thin and flavourful ginger chilli sauce along with lots of veggies…delicious!
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Start by slicing the flank steak in half following the grain to make it a manageable size. Now cutting against the grain, slice into ¼ inch thick strips.
- Combine the egg, chickpea flour and water in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oil for frying in a large wok or fry pan on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, dredge the sliced beef in the chickpea flour mixture and then carefully place into the hot oil. You will know that the oil is hot enough if the beef sizzles immediately. If it does not, wait another 30 seconds or so for the oil to heat up before adding the beef. Once the beef is browned on both sides, remove from the wok/pan and set aside. Drain off the oil.
- Preheat your pan or wok again on medium high heat. Add the oil and then the ginger and garlic and sauté stirring regularly for about 10 seconds.
- Immediately add the carrot and celery and sauté stirring regularly for 3 minutes or so.
- Add the sauce making sure you get all of the honey out of the bowl and add the broccoli as well.
- Simmer for a couple minutes to finish cooking the vegetables and to concentrate the sauce a little.
- Now add the cooked beef to the pan and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- PREP 40 mins
- COOK 20 mins
- READY IN 1 hour
- If you prefer the thicker version, you can mix 1 tablespoon of corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water and slowly add that to the pan right after the sauce comes to a simmer.