Indian Black Bean Chilli
One of my favourite recipes ever is a curry recipe from Vij’s cookbook. As a result I have adapted my own chilli recipe that is inspired by this delicious curry and it receives rave reviews wherever I offer it up. Make this chilli and you will make some very happy people too!
- Puree the onions in a food processor until they are as smooth as possible.
- Preheat a large pot on medium high heat. Add the oil and then the onions and sauté, stirring regularly, until the onions are browned. This will take around 15 minutes and will need more stirring and a constant eye towards the end.
- While the onions are browning, add the can of tomatoes to the food processor and pulse to chop them up.
- Once chopped, you can measure out the spices and add them to the tomatoes. This way everything will be ready once the onions are browned.
- Once the onions are nicely browned, add the tomatoes and spices then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, black beans and potatoes and bring back to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the raw ground meat. Make sure to stir everything so that the meat gets broken up into small pieces.
- Gently simmer the chilli for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly so that the meat gets cooked completely.
- Add the kale to the pot, give it a stir and then you are ready to serve one amazing chilli! Enjoy.
- PREP 30 mins
- COOK 25 mins
- Use any cooked beans you like or a combination in place of the black beans.